The New York Botanical Garden's Enid A. Haupt Conservatory in the Bronx is the largest Victorian glasshouse in the country. It is the focal point of the New York Botanical Garden where most of the botanical shows take place. The conservatory was designed by Lord and Burnham Co. The design was modeled after the Palm House at the Royal Botanic Garden and Joseph Paxton’s Crystal Palace in Italian Renaissance style. Groundbreaking took place on January 3, 1899 and construction was completed in 1902. The building was constructed by John R. Sheehan under contract for the New York City Department of Parks. Since the original construction, major renovations took place over the years.