Brooklyn Bridge Park has been home to an historic and beautifully-restored carousel since 2011. The carousel was a gift of Jane and David Walentas. Originally constructed in 1922 by the Philadelphia Toboggan Company, the carousel was purchased in 1984 and painstakingly restored to its original condition. The carousel is located in the Empire Fulton Ferry section of Brooklyn Bridge Park, housed in an extraordinary new glass and steel pavilion, designed by architect Jean Nouvel. The carousel operates year-round every day except Tuesdays when the horses "have to rest." In the backdrop is the Manhattan Bridge.