Monday, March 25, 2013

Horsing Around Grand Central Terminal - Nick Cave's "Heard NY"

video by NTDTV
The 100-year-old Grand Central Terminal is the venue for a new performance art called "Heard NY" by Nick Cave. The artist created colorful "horses" that break into choreographed movement twice a day (11:00 AM and 2:00 PM) in Vanderbilt Hall. Each "horse" is operated by two dancers wearing colorful costumes. The multicolored straw horses are some of Cave's signature Soundsuits, wearable sculptures that transform participants into living art pieces. The title, "HEARD NY," is a pun on a "herd" of horses, because these beasts' suits make sounds and there is live music. Cave took inspiration from the opulence of the terminal and the winged horse, Pegasus, painted on Grand Central Terminal's ceiling. The project is presented by MTA Arts for Transit and the public art organization Creative Time. The performance art continues through the end of the month.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love them Noel - they brought a smile to my face just through your blog - must be brilliant to see them in Grand Central. Thanks!
I'm so pleased to share over here what you share over there! JanUK

Noel Y. C. said...

I'm glad you love them. I enjoyed it too. I won't be posting for a couple of weeks because I have to go an a trip. Take care, Jan.

La Pequeña Salvaje said...

I have a smile on my face too :-D
I think it´s a beautiful and cool art work. I would have liked to be over there.

Saludos desde Madrid

Anonymous said...

Oh Noel I will miss my NYC fix! Have a great time, whatever you get up to - hope you will be bringing back with you something interesting to share on your brilliant blog! Take care now JanUK