This beautiful structure in Lower Manhattan is the entrance to the Bowling Green subway station, also known as the Bowling Green IRT Control House or Battery Park Control House. Located near the southern end of Broadway, this subway entrance was designed by Heins & LaFarge and built in 1905 on the west side of State Street, across from the Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House. Along with its twin, the old control house for the 72nd Street station, this building is a reminder of the glory of New York's first subway, the Interborough Rapid Transit Company, predecessor to the current routes. Although most of the original subway's entry points had steel and glass kiosks, the important stations like this one were marked with brick and stone control house, called such as they helped control the passenger flow. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.